Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kitchen mishap confessions


I love to cook and I would say that I am a pretty good at it. Cooking is in my genes since my Mom is such a good cook and she also learned from her Mom. We are definitely known for our food when we host parties. But I have a dirty secret...I can be such a klutz in the kitchen (outside of the kitchen as well)! Despite putting out a delicious end product I am known to hurt myself somewhere along in the process. Michael doesn't even flinch anymore when he hears "ow" or "oops" come out of the kitchen.

I thought it would be funny to put together our (mostly mine) top kitchen mishaps.

Tenderizing my finger

This is my most recent kitchen mishap. Two weeks ago we were making chicken parmesan paninis for lunch and I was tenderizing two chicken breasts and WHACK! I slammed my left index finger with those lovely pointy teeth you see in the photo above. I screamed for that one. It hurt so bad; it actually still hurts to the touch because my bone is bruised. Not my best cooking moment. I finished making lunch though and it was delicious. It's all about the end product right?!!!

Ice maker battle royale

Our ice maker gets jammed from time to time and you have to take the ice bin out from the door and remove the jammed ice. Michael was trying to remove the bin from the door and it would not come off. He was pulling so hard and it came off with so much force it hit him square between the eyes! He looked at me and he had blood dripping down his face. I wanted to laugh because it was pretty funny but I was really worried he might need stiches. Once I cleaned him up and we looked at the cut it wasn't too bad it was just bleeding so much because it was a head wound. The cut was in the exact shape of the rounded edge of the ice bin. It was pretty funny and luckily he's never made that same mistake again.

Making chocolate covered pretzels in fondue pot
Two Christmas's ago I wanted to make chocolate covered pretzels for a party we were going to. Instead of using the double boiler method on the stove I thought it would be so much fun to use our new fondue pot we got from our wedding registry. We had never used it before and I read the directions and I put more than $25 of Ghiradelli chocolate into the fondue pot. It seized up and burnt; it was such a mess. The heat was way too high and it was totally unsalvageable. We haven't used the fondue pot since then! The good news though is that I found the perfect way to melt chocolate. It's called the Wilton Chocolate Pro. It was the best $20 I ever spent! I use it all the time, especially to make my cake bites that I'm known for! Anyone want a fondue pot?!!!

Burning and cutting myself at every turn


My hands definitely take the most beating in the kitchen; mostly from burns. For some reason when I'm plating and putting the final touches on meals I forget that everything is coming out of a hot oven or hot stovetop and grab pots and pans without a hot pad. I also hit my wrist or top of my fingers on the oven grates when going to grab something out of the oven. I'm also guaranteed to lose some knuckle skin if I'm using my Microplane hand grater! My knife skills have definitely improved so I don't cut myself nearly as much as I used to.

I hope you don't think any less of my cooking skills after reading this post. I just thought it was funny to admit that even though I am super organized and have good cooking skills, I will always be accident prone. It's not my fault it either; it is in my genes along with the cooking skills, except this time the genes belong to my Dad. He is the master of hurting himself, so I blame him!

No comments:

Post a Comment