Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Working out with Wii

Since November I have been trying to eat healthier and workout consitently. When I told my doctor last August that we wanted to start a family in 2010 he said it would really be in my best interest to lose 50 pounds prior to getting pregnant. He said it would increase our chances of getting pregnant quickly and would help me have an easier pregnancy and delivery. When we went to Disney in October, I came home and got on the scale and was 8 pounds lighter which was the boost I needed to get my butt in gear! Since then I have been eating really well and working out 4 times a week. I am only 5 pounds away from that 50 pound goal and it's really exciting! I've now made my goal 75 pounds before we get pregnant. I figure this way if I gain 20-25 pounds while pregnant, I'll still be ahead of the game once I have the baby!

It honestly has not been that hard. I'm not hungry and do not deprive myself of something if I want it, I just have very small quantities of it. I feel so much better not eating crappy food and if I have something that's not good for me, believe me, my body lets me know! It's not even worth it. With working out, once I get started, I really enjoy it and feel so good afterwards. Since I know I will have little motivation during the week after a 12 hour day I only work out on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's much easier working out on the weekends than during the week so I workout both Saturday and Sunday.

One of my favorite ways to workout, especially since its the dead of winter is using our Wii system. I have several different programs I use regularly.

First is EA sports Active:
I've had this for over a year and used it a lot last winter and then like most thing the newness wears off and it starts to collect dust. When I started working out again this fall I went right back to this and started getting results pretty quickly. It is a really good workout. You can choose one of the preset workouts or you can design your own based on what you want to do that day. There's also a 30-day challenge that you can do as many times as you want that takes you through almost every excercise the program offers. My only complaint with this program is that the resistance band is pretty weak and you need to get another one and having to hold the Wii remote and nunchuck plus the resistance band can be a pain in the butt sometimes.
A year later they made EA Sports Active even better with this:

I started using the EA Sports Active More Workouts this December. It is basically a next generation of the first program but I love this one even more. They added warm up and cool down stretches which I thought was beneficial as well as 35 new excercises. It also imported all my other workout data from the older program. The things I like most about this new program is they included an aerobics class, a kickboxing class, ab excerises and some cool obstacle courses. I like this one better because I have more fun doing these activities. I love the boxing and kickboxing, it's a great way to relieve stress! This is definitely my favorite and go to program of anything I have for my Wii.

The last program I use is Your Shape:
 

I got this program for Christmas so I have only used it 5 or 6 times but what made we want this was that you don't use the remote or nunchuck. I thought it would be nice to not have to be holding on to the remotes and a resistance band like in EA Sports Active. This program uses a camera to detect your movements. The camera works really well too. Some of the reviews online talk about how the camera doesn't work, but I just think people can't follow directions! I set it up exactly like they tell you to and it worked. I must admit seeing yourself on your 50" plasma working out is quite an experience; you might not eat the rest of the day! The other aspect I like with this program is that you can tell it that you want to use hand weights or an aerobic step or the Wii balance board and it will integrate those things into your workout. My only complaint with this program is that the workouts are a little boring. It's like taking the same aerobics class everyday and there is little variety. I don't think this will be my everyday program but it will be good to go back to when I need something different.

So these are the things that are keeping this rump moving and sweating and hopefully they will help sweat off those last 5 pounds to reach my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment