Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

An Easter Weekend Recap

Whew! That was one busy weekend. I am really glad I took Thursday, Friday and Monday off! The weather was absolutely beautiful. On Thursday, I ran a bunch of errands and got all my housework done so I didn't have to do anything the rest of the weekend. I also got our deck all set-up for the summer. I brought all the cushions for the patio furniture out from storage and I picked up a new outdoor rug (in rust medallion). I also picked up a small dining table so we can eat on the deck. We ate outside on Thursday and Friday, it was so nice!

On Friday, Michael was off of work too so we went to breakfast and did our grocery shopping. After grocery shopping, I headed back out and got a manicure/pedicure. It was really nice; the salon was packed with lots of other women getting their Easter manicures and getting ready for sandal season! Friday night we made filet steak tacos and just relaxed the rest of the night and caught up on our DVR'd shows.

On Saturday, we got up and met Rich, Tif, Ken and Paul out for breakfast. After breakfast we headed home and made our dishes we were bringing for Easter. I made Ranch Sausage Wonton Stars and Ham Deviled Eggs Michael made Creamy Deviled Eggs with wasabi. We relaxed for a while and we also exchanged Easter gifts because we had to get up pretty early on Sunday. Michael of course out did me again. He got me the matching side tables for our deck outside, a Top Chef cookbook, seeds to start our garden planting, a grill basket to grill veggies and bunch of other items. I got him a bunch of chocolate, and a new Cubs jersey.

 My Easter presents from Michael!

Later on we got ready and headed out to the annual Easter basket blessing with Michael's family. It is a tradition they have been doing for many years in the Dworianyn Family. It was not something I had ever done prior to meeting Michael but I think it's a cool tradition. This year they were able to do the basket blessing outside since it was pretty nice. This was the first time in my four years of going that they were able to have it outside.

 Everyone lined up with their Easter baskets

Paul in his spiffy, "Easter Bonnet!"

The Dworianyn baskets waiting to be blessed

The priest blessing the baskets.

Grandma Dworianyn with the blessed basket ready for Easter

After the Easter basket blessing we all headed out to dinner and Grandma of course treated everyone. After dinner we headed home and just relaxed and watched Ironman before calling it a night. 

On Sunday I got up pretty early to assemble the deviled eggs and wonton stars. We had made the mixtures on Saturday but the eggs and wontons needed to be filled. At 8 we headed to Michael's parents for traditional Ukranian Easter breakfast. Breakfast consists of cold ham and polish sausage, beets, bread and hard boiled eggs. I thought it was a bit kooky when I first started dating Michael, but it's actually really good. We all eat a piece of the blessed egg and bread from the basket blessing the day before. Michael's parents also put together Easter baskets for all of us with candy, a dog toy for Porkchop and bunch of other cute odds and ends. It was a really nice start to the day.

After breakfast with Michael's family we headed down to Arla and Teddy's for brunch with my Mom's side of the family. Everything was delicious and it turned out to be the most beautiful day. I can't remember an Easter that we got to sit out on the deck and use the grill. They had a huge menu with everything from ham, quiche, french toast casserole, seven layer salad, fruit salad, bacon, sausage, biscuits, coffee cake, our sausage wontons and deviled eggs. I'm probably missing a few things too. 

    The Easter hosts! Teddy and Arla

Look at that spread, Mom making sure everything is ready to go.

The matriarchs of the family, Aunt Linda, Mom and Aunt Diane

Michael and I

After brunch they served dessert and we all just hung out for a while before heading home. Tonight we are just going to relax. Michael has to head back to work tomorrow but I have one day left of my mini Spring Break. I am not sure what I am going to do tomorrow but I know it doesn't involve work! 

I hope all of you had a great weekend and a wonderful Easter! We have so many exciting things coming up in the next few months, I can't wait! I am excited to officially have a new brother in our family when Arla and Teddy get married and we're going to become an Aunt and Uncle for the first time when our nephew arrives in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment