Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

What I'm Reading

I haven't done one of these posts in a while and I've been reading up a storm lately, so I thought it was long overdue.

Bossypants, Tina Fey
I love a good memoir. I really enjoyed this book. Not only did I have lots of fun reading it but I got to see how incredibly funny and smart Tina Fey is as well as how hard she has worked to get to where she is. She is a big girl in a man's world and a very sucessful one. Her stories of growing up, her early career, SNL, and 30 rock are priceless.

Witches of East End, Melissa De La Cruz
This is the first book in a new series by Melissa De La Cruz. I read her Blue Blood Series about vampires, which is still ongoing as well. The Witches of East End follows the tale of a family of witches who reside in a protected part of the North Hamptons, and these three ladies have lived through a lot. After having been stripped and denied their lineage of witchcraft from prior transgressions, this family just wants to continue on living like normal people. That is until the itch to practice magic turns to each of the women and a whole host of effects run rampant through the town. Some old characters make it into the story from the Blue Bloods series while really bringing us into their whole new world that Cruz has created. This first book in a series was amazing to read, and it has me looking forward to more.

  If you were here, Jen Lancaster
I am a huge fan of Jen Lancaster's. I wish I could write as well as she does. This is her first foray into fiction. At least that's what the book says. But I have to say, it felt more autobiographical than fiction. It's still the fantastic and hilarious writing we've come to expect from Jen, either way. Jen and her lead character, Mia, are admirers of John Hughes. When Mia and her husband Mac (who sounds an awful lot like Fletch, Jen's real-life hubby) go looking for a house, they head to the suburbs in which Hughes set his movies. They buy the money pit and enter into the never-ending struggle to live in a house as it's being renovated. Again, this sounds a lot like Jen and Fletch leaving their former sketchy neighborhood to a bigger house. All in all, I enjoyed it. I laughed out loud as I usually do with Jen's novels. I just can't say that it's fictional.

Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
This book has been on my to-read list for quite some time and I finally got around to reading it. I really want to see the movie as well when it comes out on DVD. We first meet Jacob a ninety something withering old man remembering the good old days when he used to be able to do whatever, whenever.. and eat basically anything he wanted. Something the nursing home wasn't allowing him to do, much to his dismay. Flicking back between old Jacob and young Jacob we're presented with some humorous banter before delving into the heart wrenching tale of his life. I felt as though I'd been thrust back in time, and was there along with them at the circus, watching everything fall in to place. It all flowed so smoothly. The author did her research. She slipped right into that era without any troubles and I found it really enjoyable. A great summer read that leaves you devouring the pages wondering what is going to happen next. I highly recommend it.

The Warlock, Michael Scott
This book is the most recent in the immortal Nicholas Flamel series and I personally think they just keep getting better and better. I read this book within a few days of receiving it as I just could not put it down. With all the old favourite characters and a few new unexpected ones this book will keep you wanting more. I love that the characters are plucked out history and mythology, yet woven into a story completely its own. Each book has just pulled me into the story and I find myself a little sad to when I come to the end of the book. I can't wait until the final book comes out next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment