Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Stolen Life


I don't know how many of you watched the Jaycee Dugard special Sunday night with Diane Sawyer, but Michael and I were glued to the TV. I couldn't get over the story of this girl who was held for 18 years by a sick psychopath. We were amazed how level headed she seemed after what she had been through. I could never imagine being handcuffed in a shack at 11 years old, giving birth while handcuffed at 13 and 15 years old and being abused for years. The even sicker thing is that her captor's house was visited over 60 times by parole officers in the years she was held there and they never went into the backyard to investigate. Such a great system we have, huh? Even when people called the police saying there were girls living in the backyard in a tent, they didn't do anything. It just hard to believe. It took the courage of two women police officers who followed their intuition to finally nab her captor and free Jaycee. Her story is so inspiring. I only hope she can live as normal of a live as possible from here on out.

Today Jaycee released her version of the story in her own words. Her book is called, A Stolen Life. I ordered it on my iPad this morning. A portion of the proceeds of the book go to her foundation. I know its going to be hard to read at many points of the book, but I feel like I have to know her story. I will let you know how the book is when I finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment