Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

California trip recap 6: Drive from Anaheim to Monterey

When anyone asks Michael and I what our favorite part of our California trip was, it's really hard to choose. I would say that the San Diego Zoo was our favorite place we visited but I think our favorite thing overall was the drive north towards San Francisco. I never thought I could enjoy a road trip or spending that much time in a car, ever. I think that's because we live in Illinois where its flat and cornfields as far as the eye can see. Driving on Highway 1 with mountains on one side and ocean on the other was just amazing. Driving through the mountains was a little tricky with all the hills, twists and turns, but it was awesome. Every time we started going around a bend I was eager with anticipation to see what was going to be on the other side. I think Michael and I said "wow" about 1,000 times because it just seemed to get better and better. I will remember the drive forever.

The cool thing about the drive is we went through so many different types of terrain. We drove through hills filled with cattle ranches, vineyards with grapes for miles, mountains with steep cliffs, tree-filled hills and great ocean views. I could post 100 pictures of our favorites but I'll try to keep it under 20!

Beautiful hills and mountains

Heading down into a valley

Vineyard in the valley

That's a lot of grapes!

All of those dots on the hills are happy cattle grazing

Hello Pacific Ocean!

Navigating the mountains

We were lucky the road was virtually empty since it was so early

Heading straight for those mountains ahead!

Beautiful sea side cliff

The view out the passenger side, mountains and valleys

Look at that blue water!

We needed to make a pit stop so we stopped at a place called Ragged Point. It had a beautiful resort and incredible views. It was my favorite place we stopped a long the way. The views were just unbeliveable.

Check out that view

Michael at Ragged Point 

 Me at Ragged Point

                Starting to get close to Monterey

Just miles away!

Well I tried to keep the pictures under 20 and I had 17. The amazing thing is that these pictures don't do any justice to these places. I hope you enjoyed the "virtual drive"!

No comments:

Post a Comment