Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Family Picture Gallery

Our Family Picture Gallery is complete! My "D" came this weekend and I got it placed. I love how this project came out.


I thought I would show how I put our wall together if anyone else wanted to create a wall like this in their house. The first thing is selecting your frames. I had a few frames already and then I picked up some additional frames at Hobby Lobby. For this gallery, I wanted different style frames but kept them black and white. You can use all of the same frame and same color but I like the "collected" look it had this way. I also wanted to add some other items that weren't framed pictures, the Love is sign, the "D", metal family sign and then our family picture canvas.

After I selected all of the frames, I laid them out on the floor and played around with the arrangement until I got it where I wanted it. This part probably takes the longest. You want it to be balanced as far as the different color frames and landscape/portrait frames.


Once I got the arrangement where I wanted it. I chose my pictures to go in the frames. I do this after my frames are in place so I know whether I need landscape or portrait style pictures. I then picked all the frames up and put the pictures in and then put down white craft paper and re-did the arrangement. It's hard to see in this picture, but I then traced the frames onto the paper and put the paper up on the wall to see where the arrangement would look best. 


Now, if you were going to hang everything with nails, you could nail right through the paper and hang everything exactly in its place. I didn't want to put that many holes in the wall so let me introduce you to my secret weapon, the 3M Picture Hanging Strips.


These are the greatest invention ever! Most frames, you only need to use one strip they are that strong. I love that this way I can change the wall up very easily if I want to add or change any of the frames. They are so easy to use and make it easy to re-place something if you didn't get it right the first time. That's not as easy to do when you are nailing holes in the wall.

I had our pictures hung in about 15 minutes and I am so happy with the finished product!


4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great tutorial! Your collage turned out great, I'd love to do something like this someday. I hope you don't mind that I Pin this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about 3M Picture Hanging Strips! I have already started getting my frames together and will be picking up the hanging strips! Thanks! I can't wait to get my wall done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wall!! Where did you get your D! I love it it's a brilliant idea what a gorgeous gallery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! :) I am new to your blog and wanted to say hi. Dropping by from kelly's korner. :) Erin

    www.healthybranscoms.com

    ReplyDelete