Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Our IVF Journey, Part Two

If you're still with me after part one, now we're getting to the good stuff!

Monday, August 29 - Well I did something that I said I wouldn't do, at 9 days post transfer, I took a pregnancy test. I originally didn't want to take one because if it was negative, I would be super bummed and if it was positive but then not confirmed with the blood test, I would be devastated. I don't know why but I just felt like I needed to take one today so I did. I took the test and I couldn't bear to watch so I left it in the bathroom and I went around and gathered up laundry to put a load in just to keep myself busy for a minute or two. Finally it was judgement time and I went back into the bathroom to look. I was so nervous and expecting to see "Not Pregnant" appear on the screen like the hundred ones I've taken before. Except this time it didn't, it said:


I just stood there in disbelief and immediately cried immense tears of joy. It was the moment I have been waiting almost 2 years for. I just couldn't believe it. I couldn't wait to tell Michael. I tried calling him at work to see if he was going to come home for lunch, which he often does when I work from home, but of course he said he wasn't. I couldn't take it. I got in the car and drove over to his parent's house where he works and walked in and said, "You're going to be a Daddy!" He just kind of looked at me and then said, "I thought you weren't going to test!" I told him something just told me to do it and I was glad I did, we were both so excited and crying tears of joy. This makes me feel so much better about my blood test on Friday. I just pray that everything is okay and developing how it should. It's so early, so many things can go wrong. I have a gut feeling like it's our time though, and everything is going to be ok.

Tuesday, August 30 - Thursday, September 1 - I have taken multiple pregnancy tests every day since Monday and they all still confirm pregnant. I'm trying not to get too excited, but I'm finding it hard to contain myself! I've been very hungry and pretty sleepy. I'm also down 7 pounds, so apparently my body is working hard doing something! The digital ones disappear after 24 hours so that's why they are blank. And yes, that is a lot of tests, about $80 worth, but I was so excited! I needed to see a positive test every day leading up to the blood test.


Friday, September 2 - Well it's the day we've been waiting for. I was sick to my stomach all day from the anxiety. I felt pretty good since all the home pregnancy tests said positive, but I felt like it had to be confirmed by the doctor in order to get really excited. It was a rough test day, it took 7 sticks to get my blood, but I wasn't leaving there until they had it. I had to know if I was pregnant or not!

We finally got the call around 4:00 pm. We got the news we've been waiting almost 2 years for, I'm officially pregnant! My hcg beta was 77, which is perfect! I have to go back to have another blood test on Wednesday and Friday next week and then I'll have my first ultrasound the week after that. We are so overjoyed. Our parents and siblings were waiting with anticipation all day too since they knew the news was coming today. We called my parents and Michael's parents first to tell them the good news. They were so excited! Next was Arla and Teddy. Then we headed over to Rich and Tif's to have dinner and to deliver the news that Jacob was finally getting a cousin!

We went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner and we had a 30 minute wait so we did some shopping. I might have just had to pick up one thing for the baby. I couldn't resist, I've never been able to buy baby things for myself before! I picked up a really cute sleeper set.


We had so much fun all weekend long celebrating with our parents and siblings. This has honestly been one of the best weekends of our lives! It's going to be so hard to keep this a secret for the next 6 weeks or so, I'm just bursting!

Tuesday, September 6 - Today I had my second beta test to make sure that my hcg level is going up and that the baby is still developing. The blood draw wasn't too fun, 5 sticks, but whatever it took to get my blood. I was so nervous all day to get the phone call. I was just so worried the number would drop or not rise to the level it needed. Well apparently I shouldn't have been so worried because my hcg beta was 377! Everything seems to be progressing as it should. I have another beta on Friday and our first ultrasound on Monday, I can't wait to see our little baby!

Friday, September 9 - Today I had another beta test. This was the last hurdle before we get to have our first ultrasound. My beta came back at 1331, up from 377! Everything is looking great and we will get to have our first ultrasound on Monday, I can't wait! We are just so excited and feel so blessed that everything is going according to plan.

Monday, September 12 - Today I had my last beta, you have to do them until your hcg is 1500. I was just shy on Friday but they still had to do it to make sure. It was a pretty easy blood test this time around, only 3 sticks. Definitely better than average. We also had our first ultrasound. We couldn't really see anything since the baby is the size of a sesame seed, just the sac where the baby is rapidly developing. We could see only one sac so it looks like only one embryo took. The nurse said everything looked perfect. The embryo implanted in the right spot and everything was measuring as it should. I will be 6 weeks on Wednesday. We get to go back on Monday for another ultrasound where we should actually be able to see something and possibly a heartbeat! The little black circle below is the embryo sac that the baby is developing in.


Wednesday, September 14: I am 6 weeks pregnant today. Our little baby has gone from a poppyseed to a small pea. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal but our baby is growing at a rapid rate. I can't wait to see our little tater tot on Monday at our ultrasound. I really hope we get to see the heartbeat!

Monday, September 19: Today we had another ultrasound to get another look at our little tater tot. I must say it was really nice going to the doctor and not having to get a blood test! I was pretty nervous, but my fears were put to rest when I finally got to see our tiny little baby on the screen. We also got to see the tiny heart beating! It was beating nice and strong at 112 bpm. We were so excited. I know it doesn't look like much but that's our little baby in there! Next Wednesday I will be having my first official OB appointment!


Wednesday, September 21: Today I am 7 weeks pregnant. Our little baby is busy growing from the size of a pea to a blueberry! I can't wait to see our little bug next week. I have been so hungry this week and I feel like I've been eating non-stop but I'm losing weight in the process! I'm down another 4 pounds.

Wednesday, September 28: Today I am 8 weeks pregnant and our baby is growing from the size of a blueberry to a raspberry. I had my first official OB appointment. This is the point most "normal" women would go to the doctor. I had to have a lot of blood taken, an ultrasound and a consultation with the head nurse about pregnancy. They couldn't get my blood. They poked me 5 times and decided they could wait until next time to do my first trimester blood work. I have bruises to show for it though!


Next was my favorite part, the ultrasound! We got to see our little tater tot and everything looked great. I'm measuring right at 8 weeks and the heart beat was a strong 167! They couldn't get a very good picture because he/she was being a diva and moving around but you can see the outline of the baby even though its fuzzy. The heart beat is on the left side of the picture.


After the ultrasound we met with the head nurse to talk about next steps and when I'll be released to my regular OB. I have only one more appointment in 2 weeks and then I will graduate from the IVF clinic and proceed like a normal pregnant lady!

Friday, September 30: Today I met with my regular OB for an introductory pregnancy appointment and to catch him up with everything that has gone on the past couple of months. When he told us we needed to do IVF in May he told me before I left, "I'll see you in September pregnant with twins!" Well he called it and he was half right! He was so excited for us since he had seen everything I had gone through prior with many failed months of clomid cycles.

Wednesday, October 5: Today I am 9 weeks pregnant! The baby is a size of a green olive this week. It feels like the weeks are flying so far, I am really surprised. I am going to start taking belly pictures next week so we will have something to compare it to in the coming weeks/months.

Sunday, October 9: Today we spilled the beans to the rest of our family. I sent everyone an e-mail with our pictures spelling out, "We are pregnant FINALLY!" I also wore a cute Halloween shirt I made with a little baby skeleton on my belly. It feels so good to have our secret out in the open now!

Wednesday, October 12: Today I am 10 weeks pregnant! The baby is the size of a prune this week. I had my final appointment at my IVF clinic. I had a blood test and an ultrasound. The blood test didn't go well so they stopped and I'm going to another lab to get my draws. I only got stuck twice so it wasn't too bad. My favorite part is always the ultrasound! We got to see our little tater tot and it was amazing. We could see him/her moving around and see the little arms and legs. It's just amazing how quickly it has gone from looking like a tadpole to a baby. The heart rate was perfect at 183. I got the final blessing from my nurses and I am officially released from the IVF clinic. I get to be a normal pregnant lady now!


So that's our story of how we made our baby. It's obviously not a traditional route, but it's what worked for us. We are just so thankful that this is even possible for us. 30 years ago we wouldn't have been so lucky. Life is full of tests and I truly believe this has been one of mine. I've learned a lot going through this process, the biggest lesson being patience. It has never been my strong suit. I've also learned that a positive attitude really does make a difference. I honestly think that because I felt this would work from the very beginning, it helped. Every nurse at my clinic has told me that they wish all of their patients had the same attitude. Even when I was getting stuck 5, 7, or 9 times for a blood test every other day, I did it with a smile and realized it was all for a good cause. I've learned that I'm capable of more than I give myself credit for. I've always been a baby when it came to doctors, shots, etc. I blame it on being extremely healthy and never getting sick and needing to go to the doctor. Because of this process I went from almost having a panic attack anytime I have ever needed a shot or blood test, to shooting myself in the stomach with a needle like it was no big deal. It really is amazing what you are able to overcome when you want something so bad, you don't care what it takes.

I've also learned that I have the best husband and family in the world. Our parents and brothers and sisters have been along this journey with us from day 1. They've known every detail and know more about my uterus, ovaries, eggs and Michael's sperm then they probably care to, but they've always listened and been so supportive. I can't even begin to explain how wonderful Michael has been through this process. He has been at every appointment, every blood test and ultrasound. He has lifted me up on days when I wasn't feeling so positive and has told me from the very beginning that this would work. This process has actually brought us closer together. He is my partner in every sense of the word and I'm so happy that our dream has come true and that we are going to be parents. 

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you guys! Thank you for sharing all this information bc it is actually VERY helpful to know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm glad you thought our story was helpful. I thought someone who was thinking about IVF might get something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just loved reading your story! Thank you so much for sharing! We are in the IVF process and I just started the Lupron injections last Thursday. It is so refreshing to hear about a good outcome with all of the negative on the internet :)

    ReplyDelete