Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

For the love of reading...

I have loved reading books ever since my dad taught me when I was 3. I read everything I could get my hands on. Growing up I loved all the classics from Dr. Seuss to Little Women but I also loved fun series like The Babysitters Club, Nancy Drew or Sweet Valley High. There is something about a series where you can really commit to the characters because you know there will be another story to follow.

I’ve read all the Harry Potter books, which I just couldn’t stop reading until I finished and I’ve re-read all them multiple times. They are also fantastic movies; whenever I am flipping through the guide on TV, if I see one that is on I look just to see what part it is at and somehow end up watching the rest of it!

I got bit by the vampire bug with the Twilight series. I devoured every page of those books. I was so sad when it was over that I didn’t know what to read next. I really struggled trying to find something that would hold my attention like Twilight did. I need to re-read New Moon before the movie comes out next month!

Luckily I discovered Charlaine Harris and her great Southern Vampire Sookie Stackhouse series. These are the books that the True Blood series is based on HBO. There are 8 books so far in the series with the 9th coming out next May. They are definitely more adult vampire stories than Twilight, and if you’ve seen True Blood you already know that. Charlaine Harris has several other series that I’ve read as well. They always revolve around a heroine. I’ve read the Lily Bard series and I’m starting the Aurora Teagarden series next.

Along with reading series, I also enjoy autobiographies. I am currently reading Kathy Griffin’s book, Official book club selection, and it is hilarious. She has a really interesting story that I never knew. Now don’t judge, but two of my favorites are by Tori Spelling. Her books Storitelling and Mommywood were fantastic and extremely honest, especially Mommywood. She was very honest about her struggles adjusting to becoming a mom that very few moms would ever admit to.

I will have to start posting what I am currently reading from now on. I read a lot since I am on the train for almost 2 hours every day. Thank god for my Kindle! It seriously is the best tech device I’ve purchased. I’d choose it over my iPod any day. It is great for trips too. When I would go on vacation before I would bring 2-4 books with me depending how long I was going for and now I just have to bring my Kindle. It is so easy to buy books either on Amazon or on your Kindle and they are delivered in 60 seconds wirelessly! They are cheaper as well. A new release hardcover book is usually $25 in stores or $16 on Amazon and new release Kindle books are only $9.99. If the book has been out for a while it is usually around $6.

I will start posting weekly what I’m reading since I usually go through 1 – 2 books a week. I finished Dan Brown’s latest, The Lost Symbol a couple of weeks ago so I’ll post a review on that as well as the Kathy Griffin autobiography I’m reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment