Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

What I'm reading

The Carrie Diaries
I always look forward to Candace Bushnell having a new book out and I was really intrigued when I heard that she was putting together a series of books that were prequels to the Sex and the City series. However, I think I would have liked this book better if she had created a new character for a teen series, rather than turn Carrie into a less complex character to appeal to a younger demographic. Fans of the original Sex and the City novel and show may not be as intrigued with this one, there is nothing about the Carrie we've come to know and love that shines through in this book. It focuses more on shallow teenage issues. Just something to think about if you are used to Sex and the City. It's definitely not bad, but not my favorite book either. I really don't think she did Carrie justice. She is going to do a follow-up book that will introduce the girls from Sex and the City so we'll see if that book is a little better.

My Fair Lazy
Jen Lancaster is back and snarkier than ever with her latest book, "My Fair Lazy." In this memoir, Jen chronicles her desire to kick her reality TV habit (I can totally relate to this!) and become a more cultured and well-rounded individual. She attempts to do this by exploring many of the wonderful and diverse opportunities the city of Chicago has to offer, from theatre to dance to ethnic cuisine. As she progresses through this latest challenge, Jen learns that there really is more to life than "Survivor" and "The Real World," but it's okay to be true to yourselves and take pleasure in the things you enjoy, even if those things aren't super erudite. I love Jen Lancaster and her sassy mouth, and this book is super hilarious. Having read her previous four books as well, it's obvious to me how much she really has grown as a person since her "Bitter is the New Black" days, and I am eager to see what she has in store for us next.

Didn't I feed you yesterday
While this book is in no way a "How to raise your children" manual, it is still a great read. Laura Bennett is a very charismatic person with a dry sense of humor, and that comes out in her writing. She is a great storyteller, with very entertaining tales. I found this book to be very entertaining. I loved her on Project Runway and when I saw her book, I knew I had to read it. I remember after seeing her home visit on the show, and they all seemed quirky and odd (in a fun way!). The book didn't fail to express just how quirky they are. I loved every minute of it. Bennett has great style and attitude. I enjoyed her writing style. I think she should try her hand at chick-lit!
The Girl with the Dragon tattoo

This book and its series has been getting a lot of buzz. The author wrote this series of 3 books and then died before they even became a worldwide sensation. I will admit that the beginning of the book was slow. I kept waiting for something to happen, and was confused by the numerous characters and how they fit in with the story. It seemed like there were a couple totally unrelated story lines going on and I wasn't really sure how things would fall into place. It took a lot of set-up, however, once the story got to the point I really started to enjoy the book. The different story lines started to converge and I was dying to know how things would turn out. There were many twists to prevent the book from being predictable. I am really looking forward to finishing the series and will review the other books once I am finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment